On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Guy Letourneau wrote:

> Generally I don't like patches because they feel to me like 'the
> engineers turned in their homework late - after we had already
> shipped the product.'

I think we all feel your discomfort, but "release early, release
often" is so ingrained in development cycles these days that any
campaign against it has a strong likelihood of appearing quixotic. I'm
just the messenger here....

> SO: Which distros out there, in your experience, combine: a)
> arguably modern functionality: good GUIs, drag-n-drop, plug-n-play
> USB, decent driver availability, etc, and b) Only need adjustments
> (downloads) about once every 6 - 14mo? More seldom is better...

Most -- not all, but most -- updates fix bugs and vulnerabilites that
are not remotely exploitable. That is, if you trust yourself (and
anyone else who uses your system) to be prudent, you can safely
forestall installing them.

The more defensive layers between your machine and the Internet -- a
firewall, packet filtering, disabling services you don't need -- the
better.

On the other hand, the more functionality you expect of your system,
the more software that's potentially vulnerable.

The thing is, there's no solid rule here. Some vulnerabilities are
exploitable under fairly limited conditions -- but you're the only one
who's able to assess whether your system is at risk.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinl...@madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/