PasTim wrote:
> There are many hundreds of posts on iplayer, and they are hard to
> search.  The ends of threads quickly become the middle, and I for one
> get lost.  Many of us wanted to use flac when it was available, and I'm
> unsure whether I lose anything, apart from the now non-existent flac
> version by going 'back'.  If there was a summary somewhere I could work
> it out.  Following posts I can't.

I have two choices.
1. Post to existing thread
2. Create a new thread.

If I create a new thread - people will still post to the old ones - so
there is less chance of finding anything and more confusion.

Use of Flac was by definition "bleeding" edge as it was part of BBC
Taster - if you want to test you must pay attention. I implemented it
(and segment times)  as part of a user request.  I try to make it as
easy as possible. The flac stream is ONLY on the "Radio 3 Flac menu"
>  I still don't know which of the two repos I mentioned is the 'right'
> one - I think you said DASH and 1.5.2 quote the same repo, but it seems
> not, or I have read it wrong?
I don't know what is "right" for you - do you want "stable" or "latest
version to be tested" such as Flac  ?  Some people wanted "Flac" so the
"right" one is the version with "Flac support" even though it is being
tested.

There is only and only ONE repo for stable DASH.  It will always deliver
the latest stable version - it was 1.5.2 and it isnow 1.5.3 and will be
1.5.x in the future.  It will NOT deliver a version that is "fresh" or
experimental or has not been used by a few other users.

> I don't even know if HLS still works, since DASH is still test, or did I
> miss something?
I don't know whether HLS works either - as I said frequently I do not
support HLS - this branch of the plugin is about supporting DASH and I
have no non LMS way to test BBC HLS (I have no iPhone or iPad).

> I hope you get a flavour of the confusion some of use feel. You may
> recall I used to try and maintain a summary post fixed to the top of 3rd
> party software, but it got too out of date, and too many comments, so I
> do have some idea of your difficulty.

If you want just use the same URL I gave at the start of the 1.5.2
thread.  This way life is simple for you.

If you want "latest" / "bleeding" / "may break"  then use the other URLs
I post from time to time but they will disappear as a new version appear
and so you have to pay attention - which means following threads and
reading posts. I cannot test for UK users  or OSX or Win10 so I must
publicise latest versions to get a small group of testers with a spread
of systems.