If I understand correctly older versions could output Spotify's ogg
stream in flac to the Squeezebox, but the most recent 2.8.x release can
stream ogg 'untouched' to the Squeezebox.

The Ogg/FLAC/PCM choice is the transport from LMS to the player.

But trying to find the settings for this and navigating to 'Audio
Settings', I only have three options there:

Normal (96kbps)
High (160kbps)
Extreme (320kbps)

This is the data rate the plugin will download from Spotify. This corresponds to the setting in the official Spotify applications.

The spotty helper application I'm using initially did automatically decode the Ogg to PCM. Thus LMS would only see PCM. But LMS can transcode this to FLAC or MP3 or whatever if needed. Only recently philippe_44 added Ogg streaming which takes out the transcoding.

Please note that unless you'd transcode to MP3 (which you can't, lack of lame, I guess), this has no effect on the sound quality. What you play would always be the quality you got from Spotify.

--

Michael