Thanks a lot for the ShairTunes2 plugin, it's great!  I tried the
interim solutions a couple of years ago and gave up as it was terrible,
this works much better.

But we do need sync --- my main case is two Squeezebox radios configured
in a room as a sync group with left and right channels to play in
stereo.  This works (reasonably) fine for ordinary music and all other
plugins I've come across except ShairTunes2, which will only let me play
through one side.

Another feature (sorry) that would be useful would be to disable
airtunes on some players.  For example, if there is a sync group, we
only need to advertise one of the players.  Also some clients (e.g. the
joggler with Squeezebox OS) may already have a native shairplay running
directly on the device.  Or others may be best not advertised for
airplay because they shouldn't be messed with (e.g., my wife's bedside
radio!).