Kay put forth on 2/1/2010 11:49 AM:

> In my job (hosting company) I see boxes exploited via roundcube all the
> time.  Squirrelmail? Not one so far.  Part of the reason is that
> squirrelmail comes with RHEL, so it's kept up to date automatically,
> while customers install their own roundcube and then don't maintain it.

I think you're making some incorrect assumptions.  Squirrelmail has had a pretty
abysmal security track record of its own over the years.  One reason for that is
probably exactly what you're calling out Roundcube for here, which has nothing
to do with the software, but the administration of the system.  That said, you
appear to think the world runs on Red Hat, and if Red Hat doesn't have a
Roundcube package, admins will install from source or an external RPM that
doesn't get updated by Red Hat's uptodate or whatever it's called.  The world
doesn't run on Red Hat, and many admins _do_ keep their Roundcube (and other)
packages up to date.  For instance, I do security updates on my Debian servers
once a week.  My Roundcube package is currently up to date, and it is a standard
Debian package:

[02:21:52][r...@greer]/$ aptitude show roundcube
Package: roundcube
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 0.2.2-1~bpo50+1
metapackage

>  That said, it's not the only webmail client (or any other web app) that
> gets the install&neglect treatment, it's just the one most frequently
> exploited.

Do you have any empirical data showing that Roundcube is exploited more often
today than Squirrelmail?  Claims like this really need to be backed up.  Data
for only your data center doesn't count, the sample size is way too small.  This
is called "anecdotal" evidence, not empirical evidence.

--
Stan