Hi!

Sorry for keeping the "off-topic"... but I had to answer....

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Kay put forth on 2/1/2010 11:49 AM:
>
>> In my job (hosting company) I see boxes exploited via roundcube all the
>> time.  Squirrelmail? Not one so far.  Part of the reason is that
>> squirrelmail comes with RHEL, so it's kept up to date automatically,
>> while customers install their own roundcube and then don't maintain it.

Me too, not just on DCs, even home (DSL dynamic) IPs, these are bots
scanning, and I have found A LOT of roundcube-targeted scans. I have
found lots of access attempts on *all* of the servers I have access
to: more than 10 of them, on different geographical locations.

> I think you're making some incorrect assumptions.  Squirrelmail has had a
> pretty
> abysmal security track record of its own over the years.  One reason for that
> is

True: really old ones.

> probably exactly what you're calling out Roundcube for here, which has nothing
> to do with the software, but the administration of the system.  That said, you
> appear to think the world runs on Red Hat, and if Red Hat doesn't have a
> Roundcube package, admins will install from source or an external RPM that
> doesn't get updated by Red Hat's uptodate or whatever it's called.  The world
> doesn't run on Red Hat, and many admins _do_ keep their Roundcube (and other)
> packages up to date.  For instance, I do security updates on my Debian servers
> once a week.  My Roundcube package is currently up to date, and it is a
> standard
> Debian package:

I use Debian too.

>>  That said, it's not the only webmail client (or any other web app) that
>> gets the install&neglect treatment, it's just the one most frequently
>> exploited.
>
> Do you have any empirical data showing that Roundcube is exploited more often
> today than Squirrelmail?  Claims like this really need to be backed up.  Data
> for only your data center doesn't count, the sample size is way too small.
> This
> is called "anecdotal" evidence, not empirical evidence.

Ok, you want a "sample": 100% of the servers I have access to, have,
at least once in the last year, been scanned by a bot (or person, who
knows) for /roundcoube or similars, and none of them included scans
for squirrelmail-related files.  My sample size: around 20 servers on
~4 different geographical locations.  One of the servers gets hits
constantly by scans looking for files like roundcube/something and
roundcube3/something (yes, 3, I don't know why, it should be 0.3), and
roundcoube0.2/something.... and so on..... I have never ever used
roundcube, because I studied a little about it, and found that it was
still too young, I mean: it needs to grow as a project to get to a
point where major security issues gets uncommon.

The other case: my own PC, I have a "test" web server there, and it
have been hit by these *scans* a lot.... and it has a dynamic IP... I
recently decided to block the port 80 from outside, and only open it
when I need it to be accessed from outside (it just gets annoying).

Once again, sorry about off-topic, but this is an interesting discussion,

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo