On Wed, May 05, 2004, the following words from ff-musikbüro
[EMAIL PROTECTED], emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>For me, it is so much better to export the files very early into a
>Filemaker Pro database. That keeps Powermail fast, and searching within
>Filemaker Pro is so much faster and efficent ... and you can answer mails
>from within Filemaker via Powermail. The script was discussed here some
>time ago, but whoever wants it, can get it from me!

I use FileMaker Pro also for my email. I like it because I can customize
my database to handle most of the things most email clients won't do,
which is display messages AND lists with a font size that is comfortable
for my eyes without scrunching the message Subject and From fields. With
my vision, the squished black text on white background is very tiring
when working with several such applications for hours at a time. That's
one of the reasons AppleScript support in applications is very important
to me - when I can't customize the appearance in one application, I like
the option of scripting the data into a comfortable environment so I can
lessen the migraines.

But, I can understand that most people want their email application to
conform to each individual's preferences for their money's worth.
Unfortunately, that's not likely to ever happen, and not just with email.
I am sure that most of us can find quirks in all software - even
FileMaker Pro. But, FileMaker Pro is the most comfortable for me because
I can customize it at will. One day, I can have a pale gray background
with deep blue embellishments or a pastel pink background and maroon
accented buttons the next week. For me, it's well worth the cost of
keeping FileMaker Pro upgraded. Now I only wish I had a much bigger hard
drive because there are so many fonts available but my hard drive has
been compromised by my very large iTunes addiction.

I know I'm probably one of the most pickiest users, though I really try
to bite my tongue so I'm not blasting PowerMail's shortcomings all the
time. I'm sure there are users who feel that PowerMail meets all their
desires because it does have many features that are solid and appealing.
But I don't expect the programmers to work around the clock to meet each
wish. I know I certainly can't work day and night making modifications
with FileMaker and I only have myself to satisfy, yet I continually want
new features and improvements that I have to prioritize since I don't
eat, sleep and drink FM Pro. Besides, I can still remember when there
were very few email clients for the Mac. I think I used webmail, Netscape
and Eudora with near loathing before using Emailer which I'd still use if
not for the great disdain I felt about surrendering a large chunk of my
RAM to run Classic. PowerMail never crashes and I don't think I've ever
seen any kind of error message - it's solid enough that I can usually
keep working through any irritation or imperfection. My last few pre- OS
X months were very calm, but I remember the frustration of crashes and
error messages enough that show-stopping bugginess is far more heinous
than the lack of a feature or two - especially as there is grass to
nibble on all sides should I choose to scale the fence for other email
pastures that are just as likely to have a few patches of unpalatable
weeds, crabgrass and vermin.

Oh. One thing I really and truly appreciate about PowerMail is that it is
wickedly fast. I'm sure there is a pitchfork-wielding demon harnessing
all my spam and converting it to the pure energy that makes PowerMail
live up to its name. It may be evil of me to appreciate that speed, but
after I've burned through a ton of unread messages; it's all good.
--
The music of an unhappy people, of the children of disappointment; they
tell of death and suffering and unvoiced longing toward a truer world, of

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.8 * 768 MB Ram *
* Addictions: iTunes 4 * WarCraft * The Sims * FileMaker Pro