Russel Winder <rus...@russel.org.uk> writes:

>As a way of killing what could have been an interesting thread, potentially
>full of people's experiences and reasons for choices, and not involving too
>much prejudice and advocacy research, this appears to have been very
>successful.

As a way of pointing out that this exact same topic has been debated to death
(and possibly beyond) on any number of mailing lists and web boards for about
as long as programming has been taught and email has existed, and that perhaps
people would think twice before going over the exact same ground that's been
covered every single time this has been debated in the past, I think it was
reasonably effective.

Hint: Typing "teaching programming language" into Google gives 1.2 million
      hits, that might serve as a starter.

Peter.