Can I perhaps pre-empt a pile of responses in this soon-to-be-long thread with
my following meta-response:

"I think you should use <insert favourite language here> because <insert
 standard reasons here>.  In particular I've run into problems with <insert
 non-favourite language here> because <insert anecdote here>.  You may also
 want to take into account <insert checklist of features of favourite language
 here> which isn't handled too well by <insert non-favourite language here>.
 Disclaimer: This worked for me but may not work for you, so shop around".

If everyone could just fill out the template it'd save a lot of time.

Peter :-).