One of our office workstations has been very unhappy since the
shutdown Tuesday asked to install updates.

Dell Precision M6800 Workstation i7 2.80GHz, 16 Gb RAM, dual 1Gb HDDs
Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (14393.1593)

Got the usual "Updating..." when restarting this morning. And waited,
and waited.

Restarting was sluggish, WiFi kept starting and stopping, After
patiently waiting a few minutes, shut down cold and restarted. Worked
okay for a while.

Later, "Restart Now or Restart Later?" revealed that some of the
recent updates STILL were not successfully installed. Restarted.

Lather, rinse and repeat the above three times.

Attempting to persuade the ever-patient associate not to throw her
machine out the window. "That's why they call it Windows," right?

Nothing obvious in the error logs. No disk errors.

Next step will likely be to attempt to restore from the previous
rescue point which, in my limited experience of a dozen or so
attempts, never works.

Ideas? Suggestions? Mocking?

--
Ted Roche