I spent about 7 hours on the phone with about 7 to 10 different people at
Microsoft the first time we ran into that.  They were more interested in
passing me off to someone else rather than coming up with a solution.
About the 3rd person I had talked to at least gave something that works,
but not in every case.

We had to:
  pull the power cord and wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in and
trying again.  Works on some of the machines.

through trial and error, we came up with these:
  pull the network cable - works on some.
  pull the USB dongle for wireless mouse/keyboard - works on some,
  hold down the left shift key while booting - works for 1 machine.
  for my laptop, I have to pull the battery, sometimes have to do it 3 or 4
times before it works.
  combination of the above - works on some.

A complete fustercluck if I ever saw one!

Fred