Derek Kalweit wrote:
>>> To me, the only distrib I've used that I can see as being mostly
>>> headache-free for an end-user would be Ubuntu. I used Redhat/Fedora
>>> before which I would not put in the same class of usability. I can't
>
>> Well, define 'before'. <s>
>
> Started with Redhat 5.2 back in 1998, I believe it was... Used Redhat
> 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, I believe. I installed a GUI early on and one in 2001
> or 2002(Whatever dejur was then). I've also used RH Enterprise, but
> not with a desktop-- only remotely via ssh(full root access). I can't
> remember if I ever installed a Fedora desktop, but I've used at least
> two versions remotely via SSH. Once upon a time, I even interviewed
> for a job supporting Redhat Linux(1999, I think)-- I'm sure glad I
> didn't get that job...

Well, things have changed.... Linux's reputation as a geek-only admin
tool was well-deserved. Hell, look at the man and info pages. They're
only useful if you already know the answer...

> To me, the biggest problem was that rpm doesn't work, and trying to
> compile on my own, I was always chasing mis-matched libraries. Sure
> made installing something as simple as apache and php and mysql a
> headache... And forget anything less mainstream without a big
> headache... Maybe they fixed things since, but that's the bad taste I
> have of RH.

Things have improved significantly since. Wow.

For example, the MySQL/PHP thing you mention is less than a no-brainer.
Select 'development' in the software selection screen, and you're done.
FC6 takes care of EVERYTHING (except having to modify httpd.conf.) Sweet.

> Ubuntu, which I installed recently(GUI in VM and server on an actual
> computer) showed me that all distribs don't have to be that messy and
> headache-prone to get anything done. I just use apt-get and get things
> done. I've never configured a Linux box faster than my current Ubuntu
> box(used for web serving, samba, postfix mail server(with dovecot
> imap, clamav, spamassassin, etc.), rsync backup repository, etc.

I would like to like ubu but my last experience, well, like Def in The
Italian Job said, "I HAD a bad experience." Ubu didn't like my
ThinkPads, and when my only choice was to punt to a terminal (during an
INSTALL of a user-friendly DESKTOP?), the terminal window was 1" tall by
2" wide, partially off the screen, the font was something like 5 point
san serif, and the carriage return didn't work.

Translation: I HAD a bad experience.

I'm sure it's better now. But so many pedestrians, so little time.

>> they'll break it with FC7, given their new direction, just like Win 3.0
>> was, er, not pretty. Or XP sans SPs. Or SuSE 10.0. <g>
>
> XP sans SPs is not pretty?

Well, maybe pretty in the same way a $10 hooker who's never been to a
doctor is pretty.

>> I've got FC6 on every desktop here except my old W2K clunker and I am
>> darn tootin' happy. For the first time in a long time, I have NO
>> complaints.
>
> I rarely complain; I just fix it or move on. I'm still running XP on
> my laptop and primary desktop at home and Ubuntu on a server for the
> above mentioned purposes. I also have a W2K dedicated server hosted in
> Dallas, TX(www.servermatrix.com). If I have a need for another OS, I
> use VMware...

I complain all the time. :) I think it's a reflex from having been
married 30 years with 5 kids. Newton's Fourth Law and all that.

I can always find something that I would expect to work better. I'm not
smart enough to fix things expeditiously, but yapping is cheap and
distro independent.

Whil