Hi Pierre and David (and proofgeneral-devel),

There were talks a while ago on the mailing list about a migration to git. I
think this would be really cool. I experimented with various export options,
and came up with the repo at https://github.com/cpitclaudel/proof-general/ .
The problem with the process that I used is that it makes it hard to
incrementally track changes (we would need to migrate once and for all).

Most of the history seems to have been preserved just fine, but it would be
nice to map CVS usernames to proper names and emails; the authors in the CVS
tree seem to be [assia, crr, cxl, da, djs, fionam, gklein, hhg, joheras, lego,
makarius, mark, markus, monnier, patrl, pier, proofgen, pxc, sberghof, tews,
tms, weber]. Is there a list of names and emails somewhere matching these
usernames?

It would be great to get feedback on the history as recorded in
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/proof-general/ ; also, if a migration was
eventually decided, I could help with the process. One reason for migrating to
Git and hosting on Github would be lowering the barrier of entry to new
contributors: many of the changes that I made in my company-coq plugin could in
fact be ported to proof-general. It could also allow for simplified
distribution of extensions and updated versions, via emacs' package system.

Clément.