Geoff Harland wrote:

> And to expand a bit on that request, do you have a viewpoint on the merits
> of using Gerber arc commands versus "software" arc commands, in the event
> that the details of routing a PCB are provided in Gerber file format? (This
> assumes that the PCB manufacturer can handle Gerber arc commands, but in
> this day and age, such an assumption is not unduly far-fetched.)

I have never heard of a PCB manufacturer directly using gerber data to route
the board.  For some of the more complicated boards I have supplied DXF files
for the cuts.  For some of the more simple boards (simple rectangles), the PCB
manufacturer has just read the mechanical data off their CAD package and then
manually programmed the router from that.

I am not saying that gerber files can not be used (I know technically that they
can), that it is never done, just that I have never hard of it being done that
way.

Hamid