Brian And everyone,

        I was just about to post a very similar message.
        I'm currently very irritated because I just found a library problem in a
production run of boards....
        Please let me know if I did something really stupid or if Prtoel did something
stupid and
        I was too naive to catch it.
        The problem is:

                I made a schematic and converted it to a PCB.
                Gripe 1: There are no matching (default) PCB footprints for the
schematic
                        symbols. This stikes me as really dumb. There should be a
set...

                Gripe 2: The schematic symbol for a pot has pin 3 as the tap/wiper.
                        I never saw this because my pin names were off...
                        I converted from sch to PCB and applied the generic footprint
                        VRn - to avoid wiring problems (hah!). That what the whole
point of this
                        technology is for isn't it!

                        I checked my transistors for pin problems and found some (but
                        I guess I had kind of expected a transistor problem. I didn't
                        expect a problem in something so basic as a VR and time was
short).

                        The PCB component was correct  - pad 2 is (and as far as I
know is
                        ALWAYS) the wiper. So as far as I'm concerned the schematic
                        library component is wrong in a dangerous and dumb way.

                        I can see that it is an extension of resistor but surely
everyone
                        would get caught by this.

                Question:  Take the RETSISTOR TAPPED sch library part for eg.
                        It does not have any hidden pins (according to library params)
                        yet I have to use display hidden pins to see the pin nums
etc...
                        Why is this so ?

                Question:  What is the correct way of assiging schematic pins so they
                        match PCB pins (how do I make the change and ensure
correctness)

                Question: Do I have to create my own compatible sch and PCB libs which
                                seems really stupid in as "professional" a product as
PCB.

                I seem to remember that others have had to make libs too. Do we have a
                shared library pool (schematic compatible). I currently don't feel like
                trusting protel libs. ISA9000 or not.

                Ok so am I being really stupid/naive or is it a serious problem ?

                regards
                        Kim