On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Brad Velander wrote:

> Steve,
>       I take a different approach to transistor devices. 'Most' follow a
> normal standard for pins 1,2,3,(4?) so I use this method and over-ride any
> manufacturers which do not follow the same standard. I stick to the
> 1,2,3,(4?) based upon the most common occurrence of SOT23, TO92, TO220
> numbering. To hell with the rogue manufacturers.

Fair enough - I do like my obsessively descriptive pin numbers, though.
All your other points sound like you've been rummaging through my
libraries! It's nice to know I'm reinventing the wheel in the same
direction as other people.

> TIP: The "Q_..." name convention for symbols allows for all devices to be
> easily found in one area of the library without exhaustive searches.
> Similarly I use "U_..." for all IC devices, "D_..." for all diodes, "X_..."
> for crystals, etc.

I extend this, with, f'rinstance, IC_TSSOP_whatever in the PCB
libraries. Makes for slightly longer footprint names, but it's not as if I
have to type them in very often, and not having dozens of slightly
different SOP8, SO8, S08, S0P8 variants, the world's a better place.

While I'm rambling, I also have a bunch of QFP & SOP footprints with
extended pads, makes it easier to hand-solder the skinny little legs, and
gives me more chance of soldering test wires / holding scope probes
without shorting power / ground. An extra mm or so does the job nicely.

Of course, I still can't get my damn BGA board to route, and my customer
expects gerbers tomorrow... Any hints? (running Specctra 9, Protel 99SP6).
It's possible I've just overstuffed to board and it's not going to
go. Waah. Time to lose some features...

Steve