I avoid this whole issue by using the ExportToDatabase
and ImportFromDatabase processes.

i.e. export all the needed fields (in my case, part fields)
to a .DBF file, then open the .DBF with Excel and edit away.
I save my work as .XLS format, then export a new .DBF from
Excel when I'm ready (just remember to make the columns wide
before doing so, since the Excel export fixes the .DBF widths
automagically, based on the sheet columns.

You just need to be aware that the ImportFromDatabase process
takes forever and gives no status indication whatsoever.

Cheers,

John Haddy

* To join or leave this list visit: