The import can match on _any_ field (which is why I use it in preference
to the database linking function).

As I mentioned, I usually use the functions to extract part information.
I then clean up the fields, making sure that all common parts have identical
information in the fields that we use for BOM generation (I use fields for
description, manufacturer, mfr part #, tolerance, component height, etc.) so
that I don't get discrete BOM entries because of a typo somewhere. Then I
reimport, usually keyed on the designator.

You mention that:

> Looks to me like the issue you avoid (that is keeping the Sch or PCB open)
> is no more onerous than the difficulties in managing the import.

The reasons I started doing exports and imports was due to:
a) repetitive Protel crashes (back when I was using a Win98 box)
b) a bug in Protel's spreadsheet exports that meant that a 12p capacitor
suddenly became 12:00pm!

a) is not so much a problem now that I'm on Win2k
b) was fixed in SP6 but I'm still avoiding that release since, when I did
try
to load it, I wasn't able to enter license codes without a system crash!)

As for the other exports possible (like arc primitive attributes), I haven't
played with them so I can't help much.

Cheers,

John Haddy

* To join or leave this list visit: