John,

I just had a look at the Sch:ExportSchematicToDatabase and the matching
import.  Didn't go into it much. How does the import match what component
is to be updated?  Is it by designator? Or can you control it?

What if I was to try to say fatten up only some of the arcs in a design -
how can you match up the arc in the database with that in the sch? (Not a
good example as there are other ways of doing it but humour me please.)

The spreadsheet method exports the objecthandle so you are free to muck
about with and change designators, and just change one arc out of 1000's of
identical looking ones. (Dunno why one would wish to be it can be done, we
have the technology.)

I also found, very easily, a method of corrupting the database fields list
by simply removing a mapped attribute. Is this normal?

Looks to me like the issue you avoid (that is keeping the Sch or PCB open)
is no more onerous than the difficulties in managing the import.  That
said, I have learnt a new way that will be useful at times when I wish to
do a large number of edits over a number of days (rare).

Also, export to database should not be confused with linking to a database
(I can see you are not, John).

Thanks for the tip - I did not know the export to database processes
existed and it may prove useful one day.

Ian

At 04:11 PM 15/03/2001 +1100, John Haddy wrote:
>I avoid this whole issue by using the ExportToDatabase
>and ImportFromDatabase processes.
>
>i.e. export all the needed fields (in my case, part fields)
>to a .DBF file, then open the .DBF with Excel and edit away.
>I save my work as .XLS format, then export a new .DBF from
>Excel when I'm ready (just remember to make the columns wide
>before doing so, since the Excel export fixes the .DBF widths
>automagically, based on the sheet columns.
>
>You just need to be aware that the ImportFromDatabase process
>takes forever and gives no status indication whatsoever.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John Haddy

<..snip..>

* To join or leave this list visit: