if your old software is P98 then I am pretty sure you do not need to
install P98 before 99SE
that having been said you may find it handy to do it anyway, if you just
want to peek at a legacy design, it is faster to use 98
the programs live in different realms
also I would copy the 98 libs to a new directory for use with and
updating in 99
also my suggestion since you are going to 99 is to embrace the DDB
single file method (as opposed to 'windows file system')
reason: "in for a penny, in for a pound"
it works pretty nicely and does make life easier albeit somewhat slower

Dennis Saputelli

Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> Hello, all:
>
> I have purchased the upgrade to Protel 99SE.  It has been sitting in the box
> for about 3 months now, waiting for my new computer hardware to arrive.  The
> old computer (circa 1996 Dell) can't run 99SE.  Not enough RAM (64MB, can't
> add more).
>
> I decided to go with a dual P-III PC133 (screw Rambus and their lawyers)
> system, instead of the Athlon DDR I was considering.  The reasons:
> 1)  I have been told that dual CPU systems are "smoother" than single CPU
> systems.
> 2)  I have heard of compatibility problems between DDR memory modules and
> systems.  Until they get the kinks worked out of DDR, I don't want to
> experiment.  After all, this is to be a WORK machine, not a play machine.
>
> My question is:  do I have to install the old Protel software on my new PC
> before I install the 99SE upgrade?  I hope not; I would rather not "pollute"
> the new machine with old DLLs, etc. from the old software.
>
> Hopefully, by this time next week, I will be joining the rest of you in the
> W2K/99SE realm.
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.