I tried building some custom pads by pasting a combination of fills on top
of pads but I could not get the fills to assume the net of the pad it
touched. The original footprint was
an 0805 that I wanted to convert to a shorted 0805.  I was going to use Abd
ul's trick of adding fill to not quite touch the pads so that the seam is
not manufacturable and shorts the pads while keeping DRC happy.  I used two
fill strips, each one touching a pad and coming very close to each other at
the center of the 0805.  I could not get the correct DRC rule combination to
make the board happy. The fills that touched the pads did not pick up the
pad net and therefore were tagged as shorts. The fill to fill gap was
handled by a clearance rule but the overlap of fill to 0805 pad required a
negative clearance to keep the green away.

The fill overlap on the 0805 pads was never fixed, even with a short rule in
place. I untimately went with one fill in the middle of the 0805 that barely
cleared each 0805 pad. This only required a clearance rule to avoid green.
Still it would be nice to have a custom pad combined of multiple touching
fills to have all the elements receive the pad's netlist and behave as one
pad.

SUGGESTION
Under the "Pad Stack" menu, have the ability to join the custom pad a single
entity and to save that entity as a graphic or other format.

BTW, in response to those that would suggest a zero ohm resistor...remember
that although the resistor only costs 0.2 cents to purchase, the placement
cost can be 10 to 50 times that amount!

Charlie Jenkins, Pioneer Standard

* To join or leave this list visit: