This is due to corruption of the ShellIconCache file due to either poorly
written software, or system crashes leaving the file corrupt. This problem
occurs in 95, 95, NT4 and Me but not in 2000 (and XP). The fix I used when
running NT4 was to use Tweakui to fix it.

The relevant MS knowledge base articles are:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q132/6/68.asp
and
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q133/7/33.ASP

ian