At 04:35 PM 4/25/01 -0400, Ken Henrich wrote:

>I've been unsuccessful in pulling the solder mask back around mounting holes
>to let the ground plane through. My method was to place a keep out circle
>around the hole on the solder mask layer and generate the ground plane. What
>did I do wrong?

Keepouts affect copper only. So that keepout simply kept the ground plane
out of the area, I would expect. Also, if the pad was not assigned to the
ground net, the pour -- if that is what you are using -- will not reach the
pad even without a keepout.

To expand solder mask for an individual pad, go to the Advanced tab in the
Edit Pad dialog, check Solder Mask override and set the expansion you want.
This is a radial expansion; the default 4 mils will make a 4 mil gap around
the pad. I'm not sure what it does with a mounting hole where the pad is
smaller than the drill, but it should be easy to find out....

You can generically set mask expansion for pads using design rules. Free
pads can be controlled using the pad designation Free-[des], where [des] is
the pad designator. I use MH for mounting holes, so Free-MH will control
all free mounting holes.

You can also clear mask by placing primitives on the solder mask layer(s).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433