At 07:30 AM 7/13/01 -0700, John Williams wrote:
>Take a look at the (freeware) server called "Reference Designator
>Modifier" on the downloads page of:
>
>  http://www.qualecad.com/
>
>It can add arbitrary suffixes and/or increment reference designators of
>user selected schematic and PCB components.
>
>Does this do what you need?

This is exactly what is needed, assuming it works, which I have not
checked. I'd be astonished if it did not work....

That the global editor is missing the most elementary ability of adding
suffixes is one of the more glaring deficiencies in Schematic. Of course,
some programs don't have *any* global editor, but still....

We can't call it a bug, because they never promised that it *would* add
suffixes. I think it won't add prefixes, either. The basic problem is that
the string substitution method only works with an identified string, as in
the example in the manual {D=Data}, which will expand D to Data wherever it
occurs in the target fields. If they merely read

{}A

in the Copy field as meaning "add 'A' to the end of the string," it would
help, but it appears that Copy does not recognise anything outside of the
brackets if the brackets are present.

But the Annotate/Advanced tool should be improved. Among other things, it
should be able to do what the Qualecad server does. It is clear that the
Advanced tab was added to be able to deal with repeat sections, and, as
often happens when Protel gives us a new tool, something was overlooked.
More user involvement in the planning of these improvements, possibly with
prerelease servers that could be widely tested, would make it more likely
that first release would not need more tweaking.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433