At 09:43 PM 7/11/01 +1000, Ian Wilson wrote:

>Does sound like a bug - I will await other comments before adding it to
>the bug database.  I suppose someone will try to call it a feature...

It's not a bug, in my opinion, but neither is it a feature. The lack of a
facility is almost never a feature. Perhaps I missed something, but if I
did not:

In this case the facility that appears to be lacking is the ability to read
the mind of the designer, or, stated more charitably, to know what kind of
pattern to use when arranging complex designators.

The annotation command only knows numbers to add, and it recognizes that a
designator has been already used when what it would generate does not exist.

If the existing R6, for example, has been renamed R6A, and the annotator
sees that R1-R5 have been used, and there is no R6, it will assign it. In
the situation described, there is no R6, there is an R6A.

You might very well want both. How is it to know otherwise?

It was not stated how one wanted the annotator to assign new names, but the
generic method of controlling it so that the above behavior does not occur
would be to assign a number series with a relatively large offset.

So if one were to command the annotator to assign, in the above example,
numbers beginning with 1001, the new designators would all begin there.
Then one could use global edits keyed on R10?? to modify the names how you
wish.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690