On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Personally, I go for the manual approach suggested by others.

Hmm..

> Major parts of
> a design have their own independent ref des series - 100s are power supply
> section, 200s are CPU, 700s are analog, etc. Within these, major subsections
> get their own decade - analog channel 1 gets 71x, channel 2 gets 72x, etc.
> This leaves me lots of gaps to add ref des later as needed, without searching
> the whole design for conflicts

But this describes exactly what I get from the automated annotator - doing
it manually just seems like a lot of effort I could be spending elsewhere,
or at the pub.

> The last big design I did had some 950 components, and the manufacturing
> folks scream bloody murder if I go beyond one alpha and three digits because
> the designators get too big to place on the silkscreen, so this seems to be
> the only way out.

Ah, silkscreens. I remember them. :) Too much of my current workload is
wall-to-wall 0402s and silicon - it's all I can do to give a hint as to
where components go, and a good pin1 mark.

Steve