Dennis,
        yes I think it is worth it. I have used the SMT+ system for approx.
7 years. Formerly I was sitting and doing the calculations by hand based
upon their methods. Sometimes this was painful to calculate all the pad
sizes and then the precise pad centers. This was before my present employer,
we purchased the footprint guide just over a year ago, it has probably saved
me probably about 10 - 20 man days of time since purchasing it. Does that
not justify the cost? I know some companies would still balk at the cost but
then they are being penny wise and dollar stupid. I just advised an
inexperienced acquaintance to purchase the Land pattern guide and asked him
how much it would cost to just re-run one board design if there were a
problem with land pattern shorts, skew, tomb-stoning. I know that some
people use the patterns supplied by component manufacturers, but I have seen
some horrific land patterns in suppliers technical data over the years. And
those patterns typically still leave you in the dark over paste mask
application. SMT+ system uses pastemask apertures which match the pad sizes
and shapes, with a solder deposition of 6-8 mils thickness. Voila , all in
one. If you tried that with component manufacturers suggested patterns, you
would have solder deposition all over the range and a lot f compromises.
        While it is not necessary, I had taken the SMT+ course where they
taught the footprint design mechanics years ago. James Blackenhorn can
justify each of the footprint designs, seems he first developed the system
when managing such aspects for a large captive fabrication and design shop
years ago. Reportedly he and his crew spent long hours developing and
testing their pattern designs before he eventually set out on his own and
started SMT+.

Brad Velander,
Lead PCB Designer,
Norsat International Inc.,