Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

> thanks peter,
>
> recently we acquired some gerbers for a board that had a hole in it
> that was used as a handle.  i tweeked some of the silkscreening
> and sent it off to advanced circuits and they produced the board with
> no problem.  i did call them and ask if they could do irregular holes
> (not pads) first.
>
> so there is evidently some sort of standard for denoting these sort
> of holes.  unfortunately, its difficult for me to reverse engineer the
> former card's gerbers to see what sort of actions i need to take in
> protel to produce it.
>
> hmm... i've got an idea now.  i went to tools/preferences/display/
> and selected single layer mode and went thru the various layers
> and the mechanical4 is the only layer which displayed the army-
> green board outline.  i'm gonna venture a (dangerous) guess that if
> i put the hole outline on this layer that it would be noted as a hole.
>
> any general consent on that?

If you include Mech4 on the gerbers for the copper layers that should
work.  For large cutouts like that, I would also place text in the area
to be removed saying "Cutout 1" x 4" " to indicate the area to be
removed, and its approximate size, as well as mentioning the cutout in
the readme file.

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF