thanks peter,

recently we acquired some gerbers for a board that had a hole in it
that was used as a handle.  i tweeked some of the silkscreening
and sent it off to advanced circuits and they produced the board with
no problem.  i did call them and ask if they could do irregular holes
(not pads) first.

so there is evidently some sort of standard for denoting these sort
of holes.  unfortunately, its difficult for me to reverse engineer the
former card's gerbers to see what sort of actions i need to take in
protel to produce it.

hmm... i've got an idea now.  i went to tools/preferences/display/
and selected single layer mode and went thru the various layers
and the mechanical4 is the only layer which displayed the army-
green board outline.  i'm gonna venture a (dangerous) guess that if
i put the hole outline on this layer that it would be noted as a hole.

any general consent on that?

thanks again, miker