On 04:39 PM 18/07/2001 -0500, Robison Michael R CNIN said:
>thanks peter,
><..snip..>
>
>hmm... i've got an idea now.  i went to tools/preferences/display/
>and selected single layer mode and went thru the various layers
>and the mechanical4 is the only layer which displayed the army-
>green board outline.  i'm gonna venture a (dangerous) guess that if
>i put the hole outline on this layer that it would be noted as a hole.
>
>any general consent on that?
>
>thanks again, miker

If you label it as a slot and add appropriate info in the manufacturing
notes then this should work fine.  It is basically what I do.  I would
typically dimension and add start and end coords of the slot (on a
different mech layer).  The PCB maker has to interpret what the details on
the Mech layers mean.  If you add appropriate strings and coords and
dimension you can easily make it clear what is required.

Basically there is no method, in Protel at least, to convey any sort of
slot.  You basically use the non-electrical (usually mech or drill drw
layers) to specify the slot and then add info in manufacturing details.  If
it is complex you then ring the PCB maker to make sure the understand
exactly.  I have done one board with a mix of complex outline routes, large
routed holes, routed slots and a few controlled depth routs (not right
through the PCB).  I used a series of hatch patterns to discriminate full
depth routs from the controlled-z routs and labelled it all on a different
mech layer.  Board came through without fault.  I have never had a slot
routing error.

BTW - Mike, either you are not doing many PCBs or you are much more
comfortable with Protel and PCB manufacture in general.  I recall you
thinking not so long ago, when you started in this game, that it was all a
bit of a nightmare.  Congratulations.

Ian Wilson