Brian Guralnick wrote:

> This made me think of an interesting question.
>
>     Is there a public domain open source PCB & schematic capture software?  This way,
> users have the ability to make significant changes themselves & publicly post them.

Yes, there are several projects going.  One is at  http://www.geda.seul.org/

The PCB part seems to have stalled, though.  You can look at SourceForge, I think there
are some more groups.  But, none of these comes anywhere CLOSE to Protel, as far as
I know.  Given time, however, that could change - and I hope it does!  I really bristle
at
paying lots of money for Protel (Altium) to buy fancy ads, buy competitors, do 'deals'
etc. and never seem to spend any money making the product better.  (Yes, I guess
they ARE working on a few problems, as SP5 is a lot better that the original release
of 99SE, and light years ahead of 98, which was SO bad we refused to buy the upgrade!)

Jon