What I did was simply have a Schematic Lib component for the socket with no
pins, and a corresponding PCB Lib component (footprint) that had the
silkscreen I wanted (but no pads, of course).  The socket component is
placed on the schematic, so it shows up in the BOM; when you synchronize,
the footprint shows up on the PCB.  I didn't have any DRC problem, although
I may not have had "component clearance" design rules turned on -- seems
like that would cause an error.  If you use those, you'd probably need a
footprint-specific rule for the socket.

Dwight.