[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just had our test engineer come and complain that his test software chokes
> on the use of "A" and "K" for diode pad identifers. I have used A and K for
> 15 years and know many others that use the same convention. I assume it
> originated so there is no confusion with C meaning collector. No matter, the
> test software they use is called CBTEST in conjunction with GenRad. They
> have not moved up to the new version which is Navigator and I hope that this
> will be resolved, but in the mean time. Has anyone else run into this
> problem and have any comments on the diode convention.
> Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the alternative is to have all components with highly informative pin id's

like 1,2,3  I don't want to admit how many boards I have made with transistors
with the wrong lead order!  I would be VERY firm with the guy, that it is his
problem
for using 1960's vintage software that can't handle a letter.  It probably would
be
easy to have a very simple program parse the netlist and replace letters with
numbers where needed, in a very strictly controlled way, so his software
could handle it.  But, you shouldn't be forced to change your way of assuring
lead order is correct between schematic and PCB layout.  This is a HUGE hazard
for error to creep into the board layout with numeric pin labels.

Or, do you mean his whole problem is between "K" and "C"?  I can't imagine
that the software cares what the letter is.  What about PGAs that use all manner

of letter/number combinations, or pots that have W, CW and CCW designations?

Jon