----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Diode pads

| Years ago I saw many mistakes made with 123-style numbering, many of these
| were repeat mistakes.  I forced a change to the system where sch parts had
| EBC etc and the PCB parts remained at 123.  This *forced* the PCB designers
| and engineers (often one and the same) to go to databooks to check pinning
| and then manually (with careful global edits) change the PCB pads to match
| the sch and allow the netlist import to succeed.  This was a fairly drastic
| measure but it broke the cycle and made the engineers and
| techs  sufficiently aware of the problem that it hasn't been such an issue
| recently.  More recently we have been using PCB footprints that are fairly
| specific.  So, for instance, we have a BC8XXREFLOW  footprint, which has E,
| B, C pad numbers.  A designer is welcome to use this footprint for any part
| as long as they have checked that it does indeed conform to the pin
| functions of the BC846, BC856 etc series parts.  But if they use it
| incorrectly then they are hung over the balcony while the vultures peck
| their eyes.  Coz they knew better and were just being lazy.
|
| We use EBC-style numbering mainly as some protection against human failings.
|
| Bye for now,
| Ian Wilson

    I do prefer the AK,CBE,GSD & I have found to date that I have only created only 6
different SOT23 packages to cover all the variations across diode, transistor, & fet.
Is that so bad.

    Additional, I have seen a single transistor in the past, way back when sot23 was
first introduced, where the manufactuer actually reversed the 1&2 pin numbers on
their sot23 packages.

Brian Guralnick