At 03:57 PM 9/5/01 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:
>         If you receive information as a netlist only, then the customer is
>responsible anyways right? They have to have used the right symbol with the
>right part. If they didn't how can you possibly tell?

Ah, but the client is always right unless it can be proven otherwise. I've
had this very problem (confusion over pin assignments on SOT-23 parts or on
diodes or on polarized capacitors). Since there is no universal standard,
it is *my* error if I assume that the customer has matched what is in my
footprint library. So I have to translate the pins, and it is much easier
to understand 1 = E, 2 = B, 3 = C, for example, than a purely numerical
jumbling. (And I have and still occasionally use, a program that makes net
list changes, including pin substitutions, from a text file. When I use
this tool, I provide the correction file to the client and ask him to
verify all such changes.)

Further, even when I can -- to my own satisfaction, at least -- prove that
the error was the client's, the client may tend to consider me responsible.
I've certainly lost clients over disputes like this, so if I am to continue
to earn my reputation as a design professional, I need to do whatever I can
to lessen the possibility of error.

Technically, since I submit placements -- which obviously include
footprints and also the net assignments of pins -- and the completed design
to the client, and the client engineer has approved it, *every* error that
goes to fab is the client's responsibility. My legal responsibility for
errors extends only to making good what I provide to the client; with a
SOT-23 error, that is normally a few minute's work. But for the client it
can be a disaster.

>         Also, I don't display the pin numbers on transistors or diodes. As
>you said it would convey no more clarity because of the mixture of
>manufacturer numbering/labeling schemes. Likewise the EBC and GDS conveys no
>more information either (without the datasheet). Right? Stalemate!

No, not right, and therefore not stalemate? (i.e., not six of one and a
half dozen of the other.)

Pin numbers in a net list convey *nothing* about the pin assignments,
neither as they were on the schematic, nor as they are on the footprint.
Since there is no standard for either of these assignment sets, to complete
and to check a design one must refer to three sources: the mfr data sheet,
the schematic itself (or at least the symbol), and the footprint. If there
is any mismatch between the three sources, there will be an error.

To a designer working from a net list, the net list takes the place of the
schematic. There is no way to verify that a net list with numbers is
correct merely by using the data sheet, the net list, and the footprint,
because one arbitrary assignment is missing. If one has used appropriate
letter names, the net list fully replaces the schematic. One need only look
at the mfr data sheet and the footprint to verify that pins have been
correctly assigned.

It is always necessary to verify -- if one is to be thorough -- that a
footprint matches the physical part; further, a part which is logically the
same may have a differing footprint; so the checker will take the complete
part number -- which might well be in the net list in the comment field but
in any case is necessary for design --, look it up, and assign a footprint
to it. This footprint will always be correct for that physical part, what
is used on the schematic symbol is practically irrelevant. If the client
has used numbers on the schematic, Protel's netlist load process will flag
a mismatch error, forcing me to make a translation. Making that
translation, obviously, I will need to check the mfr data sheet as well as
the schematic. From a printed schematic with the numbers suppressed, there
is no way for me to determine the number assignments (Protel Schematic does
not allow inspection of this without going to the library, a fairly serious
shortcoming) except by inferring them from what else is in the net.)

I'll say this: I've convinced myself, rather completely, that functional
pin names, i.e., letters, should *always* be used for parts like diodes and
transistors. I have not always done this, especially where I brought
libraries in from Tango which had been used with clients using older OrCAD
schematics.

We have a library committee, and I will so argue on the committee list. The
plan, as I conceive it, involves a cross-reference between mfr. part number
and Protel footprints (and perhaps symbols as well). The footprint library
can be unconditionally correct if letters are used; otherwise, with
numbers, we would need to decide on a standard assignment *and* verify that
we have followed that assignment.

Working alone, where one person has control of the schematic and pcb
libraries, if one wants to use numbers, it would not be such a problem.
Except that we forget that each day, in some sense, we are a different
person. Certainly I don't know now what I thought was right five years ago,
in many cases. Further, if I want to be able to use parts from others,
these parts should meet some standard, otherwise I'll have to check each
one in detail (and thus one of the major time-savers in having a shared
validated library will be lost).

One of the strongest proofs, to me, is that I have seen many errors end up
in fab due to the use of numbers for pins. Some of these errors would have
been avoided by the use of functional letters. The remaining errors were
due to an assumption that one part, similar to another, had the same
footprint. This error would occur in any case (i.e., it is an error in
footprint assignment itself).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA