I agree with Jeff.

If you support the EBC, AK system, how many pin does a package need to have
before you switch to
numbers?
What about 3 pin regulators, FET's  with 2 gates and so on.
Nobody would dream of using labels on a 7400, you do not a hundred
different DIP14 footprint.
During service or debugging you will have to have the schematics anyhow.
Is it not a tradeoff between the schematic designer (who could be a little
lazy, and are using the supplied schematic package as is, e.g. the symbols
in the standard library NPN,PNP ) and the PCB designer, who
should have the image of the many transistors.

regards Soren Andersen