Guys, guys, guys ... & gals,
        cease fire!
        Some people seem to have taken my original comments completely out
of context. I did not say that using the EBC/GDS type of pin labeling is
stupid or redundant. My statement was only that displaying those labels on
the schematic was redundant and conveyed no useful information in the
schematic. In addition to that, this system conveys no information to
anybody down the chain that doesn't actually work on the CAD files.
        If your preference is to use that system, fine. We all use whatever
system we have found to work best in our environments. I prefer not to have
this myriad of footprints with all the different EBC/GDS/AK combinations
covered at the footprint level. Part of my responsibility has been to
automate and foolproof our schematic - PCB interface so that we don't get
the mismatched discrete footprints. To do this I have standardized the
footprints and customized the schematic symbols to package correctly every
time without any thought or intervention from the users. It works just great
and the only thought or checks that are required is at the time when you
design the schematic symbol, thereafter it is a no-brainer.
        Ian you may have some valid points about filtering for net rules
using EBC as pin characteristics. I am not sure that they couldn't be done
equally using 1/2/3 but I have never had need to try on those type of
devices. I have used some filters using various footprints and pad specs so
I don't see why it would be different on a SOT23 type device with 1/2/3
numbered pads, but maybe there is some limitation that I can't see at this
moment.

Brad Velander,
Lead PCB Designer,
Norsat International Inc.,