I really hesitate to follow up this thread because nobody is
going to change anybody else's mind.  The only reason I am
responding is to give Brad a little support for his POV vs. the
overwhelming decient.

I too use 123 as opposed to EBC.  I think it has three big advantages.

1. I only need one PCB footprint for each footprint type.  Take
a TO-220 for example, hole it upright and pin 1 is to the left,
pin 2 is in the center, and pin 3 on the right.  A TO-92 same thing.
Yea, things got more complicate for SOT-23's and such, but I put
a crude drawing of oddball footprints on the schematic so
anybody can find pin 1, 2, or 3. etc on my PCB's.

2. I don't have to make a million redundent footprints.  Imagine
you need a voltage regulator, or a reset chip in a TO-92
package, I don't have to make yet another TO-92 footprint;
the same 123 footprint works here too.

3. Imagine your a technician looking at the schematic.  If you see
a BJT, the emitter, base, and collector are obvious without the
EBC labels.  Now you look at the PCB and which pin is which is
not obvious at all.

However, if you use 123 system the tech looks at the transistor,
sees the base, emitter, and collector and the pin numbers.  He then
goes to the PCB, finds the Ref.Des. and can find the base, emitter,
and collector (all the footprints are the same remember).

I realize I'm not going to change anybody's mine, but I thought
I give Brad some support.

Give it up Brad.

Jeff Stout
P.S.  I'm not that pure either. I use AK for diodes...  bad, bad, bad.'