On 02:48 PM 13/09/2001 +0200, Waldemar Kulajew said:
>Hello all,
>
>         I am using Mechanical Layers 5 +6 first time and run into an
> famous effect: my
>tracks an these layers disappear! Every time I set an other layer aktiv (i.e
>TopLayer) and caus an redraw (i.e. by panning or hit [V]+[R] keys) I cant
>see my
>lines any more. When I set the Llayer activ again (by clicking the TAB
>Mechanical5 ) there they are. Using the Mechlayers 1-4 will not show these
>Problem. I am running 99SE SP6 under WIN98.
>         I wunder if anybody else has seen these Problem and/or if
> anybodyknow a
>workaround. I just wanted to sign areas for diferent component hights.
>

>Any comments are appreciated.
>
>thanks in addvance, Waldemar

Hello all including Protel Support (who have been CC'ed),

Waldemar sent me his ini, rcs and a sample PCB file.  It was not until he
sent the ADVPCB99se.ini file that I could see the problem.

It took some playing about but I found the problem in the Layer Drawing
Order dialog (Tools|Preferences|Display|Layer Drawing
Order...).  Mechanical layers 5 and up were *missing* from his layer draw
order list.  There may have been other layers missing as well, I did not check.

Since there is no method of adding or deleting layers from the list it must
be either a program bug or an install bug that has caused these to go
walk-about.  Since others are reporting the problem it is impractical to
think the he has corrupted the ini file himself.

To fix it I replaced the LayerDrawingOrder0 to LayerDrawingOrder82 entries
in the ADVPCB99se.ini with those copied from my backed-up
version.  Pressing the Default button on the Layer Drawing Order dialog did
not fix it.

I have copied the relevant lines from my ini file at the end of this email,
for those also inflicted.  ***BUT*** I can not say for sure that my version
does not show the problem to a lesser extent.  If you look at the last 6 or
so entries they all point to layer number 76.  In Waldemar's version all
the layers from LayerDrawingOrder38 on to LayerDrawingOrder82, inclusive,
pointed to layer number 76.  So maybe we all have the problem to a greater
or lesser extent.

Maybe someone else, (Protel CSC?) can pick up the baton and figure out a
complete set of ini file entries to prevent the display problem.  Maybe
someone with access to the SDK can work through and give us a list of what
layer is what number.

I would like to formally request from Protel CSC a comment on how the
problem has occurred, what a correct default set of ini file entries would
be and whether there is a better method of patching rather than editing the
ini file.  Afflicted users will have to re-establish any custom draw
orders, after they have copied and pasted the ini file entries, make sure
you paste over the entries that already exist in the ini file.

I found that the changes to ADVPCB99se.ini had to be done with Protel 99SE
closed (or possibly the PCB server stopped) as the ini file was rewritten
when the program was closing, so overwriting the good values with bad
ones.  This fact could point to some sort of problem in the database but I
suspect not, and I suspect we will not get to hear.  Be nice to have a fix
though.

Ian Wilson

Copy and paste the following entries over the existing entries in the
ADVPCB99SE.ini file which is located in the Windows installation directory:

LayerDrawingOrder0=74
LayerDrawingOrder1=33
LayerDrawingOrder2=34
LayerDrawingOrder3=75