At 08:33 AM 10/18/01 -0500, Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:
>my question:  what am i likely to find when i go over there?  i'm
>going to assume that there is some scanning or photographic
>hardware thats associated with some software program that
>converts a raster image into the vectorized gerber files.  are you
>guys familiar with this kind of setup?  what are some of the software/
>hardware setups employed for this?  surely its better than me sitting
>here re-creating the boards by hand.

I did a board by photographing the board, scaling and filtering the photo
appropriately with Paint Shop Pro, and using a bitmap converter (there is
one in the filespace for [EMAIL PROTECTED]) to bring the images
into PCB, on mech layers. It was quite dirty, but I just used it as a
template to place the traces.

However, software to convert bitmaps into gerber has been around for a long
time. My guess is that the software analyzes the image and produces gerber
draws and flashes to imitate reasonably closely the original. It will be
great if it does this. If, instead, it creates a raster image with gerber
draws, you would be able to use it as I used my photo, only the dimensional
accuracy would be pretty easy to maintain.

Assuming that it outputs real draws for traces, you will import the Gerber
to a working layer. You may need to clean it up, you might edit traces to
be the same size that might be slightly different in the conversion. If
pads have been built with draws, it will be a nuisance, because you will
need to get rid of them. In fact, it might be simpler to just use the
scanned data as I used a camera image.

You will identify common footprints from the layers; you may use your
library for that; but for unusual footprints you will create pads from the
gerber data if it contains flashes. You might or might not adjust their
position; if a pad already exists, you will probably edit it to multilayer
and put a hole into it, as well as giving it a number. Before doing this,
select and copy a footprint's set of pads into the footprint editor. Once
you have made the footprint, place the footprint over the pads you selected
and clear the selection. This way you work through the board assigning
components as appropriate and then deleting the free pads from your import.
Eventually you will be left with only footprints and connecting track. This
track may need to be adjusted, but redrawing it with loop removal turned on
may be faster.

I recommend keeping the image on a mech layer so that you can, at the end,
use a blink technique, or contrasting colors with alternating the layer
drawn on top (or transparent colors so that non-coincidence will produce
contrasting colors, like white for coincidence and two contrasting colors
for primitives that exist on one layer and not on another), to compare your
final layers with the input layers from the scanner.

You will probably also need to massage the gerber into a form that Protel
will properly input. This has been discussed many times and recently, so
I'm not going into that now.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA