hello,

i guess our customer on this board rebuild job is happy with us
and has given us a bunch more boards to do.  over half of them
are simple two-sided boards.  with no existing gerbers, up til
now i've been recreating these in protel with a stripped board and
a set of calipers.

this issue has been sitting on the backburner for me a while, but
bob wolfe mentioned something close to it and now my interest
is piqued.  there is another facility here on base that can take an
existing board that's stripped and somehow scan or photograph
the surface and generate gerbers from that.  they want me to go
over and check it out and give them an idea of whether this is a
good idea and what kind of problems might be involved with this
process.

my question:  what am i likely to find when i go over there?  i'm
going to assume that there is some scanning or photographic
hardware thats associated with some software program that
converts a raster image into the vectorized gerber files.  are you
guys familiar with this kind of setup?  what are some of the software/
hardware setups employed for this?  surely its better than me sitting
here re-creating the boards by hand.

any comments will be appreciated.

thanks, miker