At 07:17 AM 10/22/01 -0500, Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

>thats an interesting idea of using a transparency.  the only
>problem i'd have with that is moving around and doing different
>parts of the board...  i find myself zooming in even on a 6x6
>board until it doesn't all fit on the screen.

Yes, that's why importing a scan to a mechanical layer is much better. Yes,
you may have to do some scaling, but you do it once, and then you can trace
over the lines. resumably a scan of a PCB is going to need quite a bit of
cleanup unless it is imported through a *very* sophisticated program, one
that would know about design rules, for example.

>from everyone's post, it sounds like a fairly expensive process
>with a pretty trashy board if the proper cleanup isn't done.

Importing from scans of pcbs is not cheap. Perhaps one to two-thirds the
cost of doing the design from scratch. But it need not be terribly trashy,
if the gerber-from-scan program is sophisticated and the board is not
fine-line. I'd be interested to know more about it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA