At 02:06 PM 10/23/01 -0400, M. Wahab wrote:
>     I was updating from a pcb library a footprint of
>a BGA component, however, the component disappeared
>completely.
>What went wrong? is there anyway to recover? It doesn't accept
>undo, and it's very difficult to position a new BGA footprint
>in place of the disappeared one. Back up is affected as well.

(1) I don't know what happened.

(2) You should have backups for all the files involved (your library and
your PCB), and there are normally, assuming you have autoback enabled --
ask if you do not know how to do that, two different backups, one in the
backup directory for autobackups, plus two (Backup of ... and Previous
Backup of ...) in the directory where the ddb lives. You'll need to import
the latter.

Note that autoback can fail to operate if one constantly keeps the program
in a state where there is a pending operation. Protel allows pending
operations to be stacked, so occasionally one should back up through the
stack with the Escape key.

But the other backups are created whenever you overwrite a file in the
.ddb, if this is an option, I haven't noticed. Some users don't like them,
but they are easy to generically delete because of the really distinctive
names.

(3) To replace a routed component accurately, select the component, use
Move Block, and pick up the component at a pad center that corresponds to a
now-hanging track end. The current layer should be set to that track's
layer. Snap will now place the component *exactly* as it was when the track
was completed, assuming it was on grid. (Good practice leaves track ends
coincident with pad centers.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA