At 11:51 AM 10/26/01 +1100, Thomas wrote:
>Thanks Darren, just what I wanted. (I had noticed the tool button for that
>function before but was not sure what it was for).

Actually, if you look at the Place menu, you will see that there is no
Place Track command. Protel used to have that, but it was replaced with
Place interactive rouTing. Same shortcut initials, for which we thank the
programmers, since one gets awfully used to such a common command sequence.
The difference, of course, is that PT follows connectivity and other copper
design rules, whereas PL, Place Line, ignores them.

Place Interactive Routing quite reasonably prevents you from placing track
on non-copper layers. That's what Place Line is for, so that Protel's
famous flexibility is preserved while at the same time protecting us from
easy mistakes.

>Only one problem; why does the line constraints dialogue box (TAB when
>placing line) use mils for the line width when I'm working with metric
>units? It's not a major hassle, but if I want a 0.8mm wide line I have to
>type "0.8mm" instead of "0.8".

Place Interactive Routing correctly uses metric units, but Place Line only
displays imperial, a minor bug, since line widths on non-copper layers are
rarely critical. Note that the current line widths for Place Interactive
Routing and Place Line are distinct. Place Interactive Routing also, of
course, will clip or increase line widths as necessary to satisfy the
design rule for the net being routed. Place Line is subject to no design
rule (though it will create DRC violations if the placed lines are on
copper layers and violate a rule; PL track is always no-net).

Note that you can assign nets to track on mech layers. This is convenient
if you want to move some routing out of the way and be able to bring it
back with its net attributes. Just select it and globally edit it to a mech
layer. Be sure to clear out selections after the move unless you are going
to use them immediately, lest you accidentally move or delete invisible but
selected primitives.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA