> There is Parity memory and there is ECC memory,
> but when the buyers always want the cheapest ...
> You don't really expect a 500$ PC to have all the stuff
> that is built into a 5000$ machine, do you ?
>
> I think it way off to use software to mask hardware faults.

but when you get to more than 4 bits of parity it is much better to use
those bits to do ECC since the cost is the same. This is why all current
machine support ECC not parity. Also ECC is not using software to mask
hardware faults, it is using hardware to correct hardware faults. Parity in
PCs, on the other hand, used software to stop the machine after a hardware
fault.

Today's memory is much more reliable than it was 15 or 20 years ago so
advantage of ECC to the home user is not worth the cost. I check any new
memory and than I don't worry about it. I did not check once on a non-ECC
memory DIMM and had the memory work fine until I switched to Win2K.
Investigating, I found that there was an unsoldered pin on one of the
chips. Obviously Win 95 didn't actually use that memory, and Win2k/WinNT
uses everything it can get the problem never occured under Win95. This
would not have been a problem with ECC memory since the hardware would have
used the extra bits to correct the bad data line on every read.