At 10:58 PM 12/5/2001 -0500, Abd ulRahman Lomax wrote:

>Actually, indefinite support is, in my experience, the exception rather
>than the rule. We are all using one of the Microsoft operating systems. As
>I recall, free support for that is limited to a few months from first
>contact. My wife's business uses a very common accounting program, support
>is free for a few months, after that it is pretty expensive. And all the
>other major CAD vendors charge plenty for support.
>
>Protel was an exception.

I'll tell you what's an exception, AbdulRahman, the prospect of having to
PAY for service packs.  That's mainly what's got me up in arms about this
ATS crap.  Very, very few companies make you pay for service packs,
although I really have no idea what the CAD industry does in this
department.  Your above mentioned company sure doesn't.  Imagine the
backlash if they did!
Since Protel tech support never calls me back anyway,  what on earth would
I want to pay for that for?  (Disclaimer:  Perhaps they have fixed this
problem by now, I wouldn't know)
I can tell you one thing, if it winds up that we have to pay for service
packs, not only am I going to be very angry, but we WILL find something
else eventually.  This will be way down the road though... except for the
autorouter, 99se pretty much fills our needs for the forseeable future.

Frank

Frank Gilley
Dell-Star Technologies
(918) 838-1973 Phone