> company will generate a jolt of ill-will against Compaq. People know, by
> now, that documentation costs are included in the product cost, and with
> the web, the cost of distributing it has become very very low. If I lose
my
> Protel manual, no big deal, I can get the PDF. Protel sells the book for
> $90. Given the press run, that's probably a fair price. But I certainly
> hope that Protel doesn't decide to dump the PDF on the theory that it
could
> then sell more manuals....

Maybe someone on this list should archive Protel's website content right now
before they yank it.  Any volunteers?  I can't do it, all I have is a lousy
POTS Internet connection (no affordable broadband in Tallahassee).

The web has changed some things forever.  The sooner corporations' bean
counters and money grubbers realize that, the better off everyone will be.
The web enables:

1)  No cost distribution of text, binary, sound, and video information
2)  No cost product support capabilities
3)  No cost sales assistance
4)  Easy collaboration and communication between individuals and
organizations on a particular topic (i.e. this list) who would otherwise
never be aware of each other

The more these things are resisted, the more irrelevant the "resistor" will
become.  I am still waiting for a media company to stop fighting internet
distribution, and finally figure out that they can make money with it as
long as they meet the public's expectations.  For example, my expectations
for a music download service would be:  1) pay only for songs I want, 2) no
subscription required, 3) choice of file types (mp3, ogg, or uncompressed
wav), 4) no copy protection, 5) $1.00 per song, or $5.00 for an entire
album.  They should hurry up and do this before everyone has downloaded
every last song they would ever want.  This may seem a bit off topic, but
it's all illustrative example.  Altium tech support is nearly irrelevant
right now, since this forum is extremely helpful.  The last time I used
Protel support was in 1996, when I first started using the program.  I
haven't needed it since.  I am quite sure that I would still need it if
there wasn't this forum to ask.  So, all most of us really need from Protel
support are service packs to fix bugs.  And those should be free and
permanently available for download.

Altium, beware, if you become too difficult to get along with, an open
source alternative will emerge...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.