Sean wrote:

>When I merged 2 boards to create a pallette, 2 of the internal split planes
of the 2nd board changed nets. Is there any way to prevent this, or is it a
bug?

Sean,
I am assuming you are panelizing two boards,  which are identical.   If the
boards are identical use the Paste Special, and check keep the same nets,
also check Duplicate reference numbers.  This should work.

If you are attempting to merge two board that are not identical, but share
the same reference numbers then they can  not be merged.  Is it a bug?  I
think it is more  the method which Protel chooses to implement not a bug.  I
agree with it  because it prevents a designer from having parts with
duplicate reference numbers.  The work around for all penalization is draw
the panels, the routes, break off tabs on the drill file then ask your board
house to panelize the design to your outline. Care must be taken that the
outlines you create are exact,  as I have had calls from a board house
because I was 1 mil  off grid.   Also you might want to  add a fab note for
the direction of the panels, since a square board can be rotated to fit.
The third action is to have the fab house return the paste gerber which is
panelized otherwise you may  have a registration problem with BGAs.

Good Luck

Mike Reagan
EDSI