But other then that it works just fine. I most
> heartedly suggest
> that all design, checking and editing be absolutely complete before you
> merge boards because after merging editing or DRC checking and other
> operations can become very complex because of unrouted nets
> between boards,
> duplicate designators and the likes. Keep your original singular boards to
> work on for future editing, keep the merged boards as a separate panelized
> file, edit only the original singular boards when editing is required.
>       The problem with merging boards which contain differing or split
> planes is very much more complex. Basically it probably shouldn't be
> attempted unless you are quite experienced or the boards are absolutely
> identical. For this very reason I usually use Mid-layers rather then Plane
> layers and I draw my planes as polygons. This is much more conducive to
> merging multiple boards into a panel. It also gets you around some of the
> limitations/bugs associated with "Planes" not being DRC'ed
> properly for all
> possible errors.

Brad,
I agree save your orig file after you run drcs, then  create a new file to
panelize. So how difficult is it to toggle thru the plane layers, view them
and reconnect planes?  Not hard at all maybe two or three keystrokes.   I
don't see it as a  problem.  Sure its not perfect but panelizing would be
hard to implement to satisfy everyone's idea of how it should work
especially when you expect drcs to work also.   The point is you can do it
accurately, and it really isn't that much of a hassle. The other option is
to use Camtastic, I never use pours on mid layers because most of the board
houses I have experience with, not only frown upon it, I had one refuse to
fabricate the board because it compromised their lamination process.

Mike Reagan
EDSI