Mike,
        there is something amiss in your explanation regarding reference
designators. You can merge multiple boards with the same reference
designators, again you use the "Paste Special" command and select the
"Duplicate Reference" designator box. I do this all the time, day in and day
out for our development boards. You can/will also use the Keep Nets
selection and you may have ratsnest connections between boards where similar
nets occur. But other then that it works just fine. I most heartedly suggest
that all design, checking and editing be absolutely complete before you
merge boards because after merging editing or DRC checking and other
operations can become very complex because of unrouted nets between boards,
duplicate designators and the likes. Keep your original singular boards to
work on for future editing, keep the merged boards as a separate panelized
file, edit only the original singular boards when editing is required.
        The problem with merging boards which contain differing or split
planes is very much more complex. Basically it probably shouldn't be
attempted unless you are quite experienced or the boards are absolutely
identical. For this very reason I usually use Mid-layers rather then Plane
layers and I draw my planes as polygons. This is much more conducive to
merging multiple boards into a panel. It also gets you around some of the
limitations/bugs associated with "Planes" not being DRC'ed properly for all
possible errors.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer